March is Pet Poison Awareness Month. Bay Street Animal Hospital would like to bring attention to the harmful substances that can wreak havoc for your furry friends. Poisons can come in many shapes and sizes, ranging from foods and chemicals to house plants.
Some of these dangers may be obvious, such as anti-freeze. But even harmless human snacks, like grapes, can be toxic to animals. How many of the ten most common pet poisons, compiled by Pet Poison Helpline, are you aware of, and what should you do if your pet comes into contact with these items?
Dogs: 1. chocolate; 2. rodent poisons; 3. anti-inflammatory medications (such as Aleve); 4. xylitol (sugar substitute found in sugarless gum and other foods); 5. grapes and raisins; 6. antidepressants; 7. acetaminophen (such as Tylenol); 8. vitamin d; 9. stimulant medications; 10. fertilizer.
Cats: 1. lilies; 2. canine flea/tick products; 3. household cleaners; 4. antidepressants; 5. essential oils; 6. anti-inflammatory medications; 7. rodent poisons; 8. stimulant medications; 9. onions and garlic; 10. vitamin d
But what happens when my pet has ingested something toxic?
It is crucial to act quickly in a possible poison situation. Some owners may opt to wait and monitor their animal for any signs of illness. But many pet poisons do not cause outward symptoms right away. By the time your pet becomes visibly ill, it may be too late.
Step one: Remain calm and remove the toxin from the area if there’s any remaining. It’s important to minimize the amount they actually consume. Step 2: Gather any packaging, so that you know exactly what it is your pet has gotten into. In many cases, the active ingredients and quantity can cause the treatment plan to vary greatly. For example, a chocolate toxicity can range in severity depending on what type of chocolate and how many ounces were ingested. Step 3: Call your veterinarian or one of the pet poison helplines.
In Case of Emergency, you can call Bay Street Animal Hospital 24/7 at 718-420-9100.
At Bay Street Animal Hospital, we can be reached at any time, day or night, to handle any pet emergency. We can provide life-saving care for toxic substances that your furry baby thought looked appetizing.
Remember, while March may be dedicated to bringing awareness to the dangers of poisonous substances, it’s important to be diligent all year round and know what substances your pet can and can’t eat. It’s our job as owners and caregivers to be ever vigilant and to keep our pets safe from dangerous toxins, no matter what form they take. A complete listing of substances and household items that are poisonous to dogs and cats may be found at www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poisons