Bay Street Animal Hospital

718-420-9100 | 999 Bay Street | Staten Island, NY 10305
Call for an appointment or log in to the Pet Portal.

Holiday Hazards for Pets

The holiday season is the most joyous time of year. It’s a time when we gather with family, including our beloved pets, to celebrate, eat, drink, and be merry — and safe. We must be especially vigilant during the holidays about the special hazards and risks that this time of year poses for our pets.

  1. Chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine. Like caffeine, it’s tasty, but is severely poisonous to cats and dogs.

  2. Mince Pies and Christmas Puddings. All grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are toxic. Absolutely no mince pies for your pooch, not even a nibble.

  3. Tinsel looks like a lot of fun to play with for our pets. But tinsel can cause dangerous blockages in an animal’s stomach.

  4. Macadamia nuts are often found in Christmas snacks. These nuts cause severe illness in dogs.

  5. Garlic, chives and onion, which are found in festive foods such as gravy, stuffing, and sausages, are poisonous to dogs.

  6. Snow Globes. Imported versions can contain antifreeze. As little as one tablespoon can be fatal for a cat.

  7. Candles may create a cozy atmosphere, but candle flames can burn paws and the curious noses of our furry friends. There’s also risk of them falling over when brushed against.

  8. Fairy Lights. Cats are curious and will try to chew on anything, including fairy lights – which can burn and even electrocute them.

  9. Alcohol can cause severe liver and brain damage in animals. As little as a tablespoon can lead to severe problems for your cat or dog.

  10. Other hazards.
  • Salt dough ornaments – the mix of flour and salt with water can cause a fatal salt toxicosis.
  • Christmas foliage like poinsettia, mistletoe and ivy– all of which are mildly toxic to both cats and dogs.
  • Wrapping paper – eating a large amount of paper could cause an obstruction in your pet’s stomach.
  • Lilies are extremely dangerous for cats. Eating just two or three leaves, or even drinking water from a vase containing them can be potentially fatal.
  • Don’t forget the warning about the dangers of walking your dogs in the snow without booties and having their sensitive paws subject to salt.
If your pet has eaten anything potentially harmful, you should call the Bay Street Animal Hospital team immediately at 718-420-9100. We’re here for you and your pet 24/7.